Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Primeau close to announcing his retirement?


PHILADELPHIA (CP) -- Flyers captain Keith Primeau is expected to announce his retirement by the end of the week, the Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting."I've had those discussions with my wife and I will have something more to say about it either tomorrow or Thursday," Primeau said. "I have not talked to the club since last week. I had been looking to get myself back into a position to play."If Primeau does end his career, the captaincy will likely go Peter Forsberg, which was the Flyers' plan in the event Primeau did not begin the season.Primeau, 34, who said retirement at his age will be "very tough to face," has been unable to recover from post-concussion syndrome suffered last Oct. 25 at Montreal when he took a blow to the head from Alexander Perezhogin.Primeau played 5{ seasons with the Flyers and 312 games with 87 goals, 126 assists and 213 points. He assumed the captaincy from Eric Desjardins in 2001.

No comments: