Sunday, November 05, 2006

Bolting Tampa Bay

Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Jay Feaster is prepared to make big changes to the team, and it's not to the coaching staff.
Quoted in the Tampa Tribune, Feaster says "I'm not concerned about the job the coaches are doing. I just think, and it's disgusting in this business, that it's a knee-jerk reaction, it's the easiest thing to do when it's not going well is to identify the one guy instead of the 20 guys who play. I don't think a coach becomes stupid overnight."
And Feaster delivered a message to any players who may have turned a deaf ear to the coaching staff.
"Then we ought to get the deaf and dumb out," Feaster said. "Honestly, if that's the case then I wish they would identify themselves to me and let me move them on because I would rather see them gone then a hell of a good coach."
"If we don't get things going the way we want them to, then there will have to be changes," he said. "It's because of our position under the salary cap, we are not in a position to go out and say, 'Here is a draft pick,' and get the answers that we think we need. We don't have the room to assimilate it under the cap. So, as a result, it's going to mean salary going out. And it isn't the guy making $500,000 or the guy making $450,000, that doesn't give us enough leeway to do things, either."

No comments: